Meditating on Hebrews day 5: Heb 3:7-19
3:7 So, as the Holy Spirit says: “Today, if you hear his voice, 8 do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion, during the time of testing in the wilderness, 9 where your ancestors tested and tried me, though for forty years they saw what I did. 10 That is why I was angry with that generation; I said, ‘Their hearts are always going astray, and they have not known my ways.’ 11 So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’ ” 12 See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. 14 We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end. 15 As has just been said: “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion.” 16 Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt? 17 And with whom was he angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies perished in the wilderness? 18 And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed? 19 So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.
· What will stop you entering God’s rest?
· In the Bible the “heart” is not so much the place where I feel but the place where I make decisions. With this in mind, how is the heart hardened?
· What’s the antidote to a “sinful, unbelieving heart” that will stop you being “hardened by sin’s deceitfulness”?
· Thank God that he speaks “today” and promises a future rest for his people.
· Pray that each “today” when you hear God’s voice in the scriptures, you might not harden your heart but “hold your original conviction firm”.
· Write down one area of your life that you don’t want God to speak into. Why is that off limits for God? Pray for his help to resist “sin’s deceitfulness”
· Write down one person “today” that you can encourage to keep trusting and listening to Jesus. Send them a message.