Meditating on Hebrews Day 4: Heb 3:1-6
3:1Therefore, holy brothers and sisters, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, whom we acknowledge as our apostle and high priest. 2 He was faithful to the one who appointed him, just as Moses was faithful in all God’s house. 3 Jesus has been found worthy of greater honor than Moses, just as the builder of a house has greater honor than the house itself. 4 For every house is built by someone, but God is the builder of everything. 5 “Moses was faithful as a servant in all God’s house,” bearing witness to what would be spoken by God in the future. 6 But Christ is faithful as the Son over God’s house. And we are his house, if indeed we hold firmly to our confidence and the hope in which we glory.
· What does v1 tell you about what the author wants for you while reading his letter?
· List all the titles given to Jesus in this passage. How does each title contribute to his “greater honor”? (For apostle and high priest, consider Jesus being sent to make his people holy and deliver them from death and sin, 2:11-12, 14-18).
· How is Jesus’s faithfulness both the model and the motivation to “hold firmly to our confidence”?
· Thank God that Jesus is faithful over God’s house.
· Pray that God would help you hold firm to your confidence in Christ.
· List down the things that cause you to lose confidence in the Christian hope. Write a prayer from this passage that you can pray each day this week that asks for a more confident grip on the Christian hope.
· Think of one person you could encourage to ‘fix their thoughts on Jesus’. Send them a message doing just that.