Meditating on Hebrews day 6: Heb 4:1-10
4:1 Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. 2 For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed. 3 Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said, “So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’” And yet his works have been finished since the creation of the world. 4 For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: “On the seventh day God rested from all his works.’ 5 And again in the passage above he says, “They shall never enter my rest.” 6 Therefore since it still remains for some to enter that rest, and since those who formerly had the good news proclaimed to them did not go in because of their disobedience, 7 God again set a certain day, calling it “Today.” This he did when a long time later he spoke through David, as in the passage already quoted: “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.” 8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his.
· Why can you be certain that there is a future rest we can enter?
· If this promised rest is still in the future, what should yoy expect life to be like now?
· Finish the sentence: “because God has promised a future rest for me, today I will live…” (hint, see v2 and v6).
· Give thanks that there is a time when you can rest from you toil and labour and be with God.
· Pray that God would strengthen you to keep trusting his promise of a future rest.
· Spend a few minutes imagining God’s future world. For help, you could read Gen 2:1-25, Deut 28:1-12, Rev 21:1-6, or Rev 21:22-22:5 and write down each blessing of God's rest. Give thanks for each blessing that you will experience in God’s future world. Pray that God would help you to keep trusting him.